How to Fit More Fun Into Your Life in 5 Simple Steps (it’s easier than you think).
Do you feel overwhelmed and anxious, as if you never have time to let your hair down or do those things that make you feel lighter? If so, it might make you feel better to know that most people are in the same boat, particularly now after a year of pandemic-related limitations and stressors. In fact, a whopping 83% of Americans are feeling totally stressed out according to a recent study. In order to combat this sense of overwhelm, it’s important to make time for fun and to engage in those activities that you love. Here are 5 simple steps to put you on that path:
- Critically assess your current schedule. Where are you spending the bulk of your time? Find out by tracking yourself for a week or two -be honest in your assessments. You’ll quickly start to see what you are doing with your precious moments and where you can improve.
- Identify time sucks (those things that are wasting a lot of time without providing much value in return). It can be anything from working a couple of extra hours every day to other obligations that are no longer serving you. Figure out how you can reduce or eliminate these pesky time sucks.
- Ditch distractions. The trick for finding more time is getting more done in fewer hours by upping your productivity. To this end, eliminating and reducing distractions can help you out in a big way. What is it that’s cutting into your productivity? Is it notifications on your phone (place it across the room)? Is it talking to friends or surfing the web (do it after hours)? Perhaps scrolling through social media (schedule and limit social media time too)?
- Look for holes in your schedule. Search for places that you have downtime that you can better allocate. Maybe you’re spending 10 hours a week watching Netflix without realizing it. Use that veg time for fun activities instead. Your heart will thank you for it.
- Set parameters. Dedicate certain hours to work, certain hours to other obligations and, most importantly, certain hours for yourself and those things that you want to do. If you make yourself a priority and grab hold on that schedule , you’ll be able to get out there and bike, meditate, paint, sing, dance, draw and laugh with the rest of them!
Charlene Walters, MBA, PhD is a business and branding mentor (specializing in entrepreneurship, personal branding, work-life balance, mindset, marketing, writing and more). She is also the author of the book Launch Your Inner Entrepreneur which just came out (McGraw Hill).